Congestion on the UK’s roads value the financial system £7.9bn final 12 months – at a median of £1,317 per driver, analysis has discovered.
In London, jams value the common street person as much as £1,680 in 2018, whereas drivers in Edinburgh misplaced £1,219 every.
Manchester and Leicester have been the following most congested cities on the checklist, with street customers dropping greater than £1,100 in every.
Liverpool was the least congested metropolis within the research by transport information agency Inrix, which estimated the annual congestion invoice within the metropolis at £878 per driver.
Maybe unsurprisingly, London and Edinburgh have been discovered to be the UK’s slowest cities, with motorists crawling into their central areas at a median of 7mph in peak time.
The A406, generally known as the North Round, round London was discovered to be probably the most congested UK street.
The typical driver wasted 61 hours in congestion throughout 2018 on the stretch of the A406 between the Chiswick Roundabout and Hangar Lane.
In complete, London had 5 of the highest ten worst roads for hold-ups, whereas Birmingham and Leeds had two every and Manchester one.
The A23 in south London got here subsequent, with motorists delayed by a median of 56 hours per 12 months between Kennington and Thornton Street.
Drivers wasted a median of 44 hours on a part of the Leeds Street in West Yorkshire and a stretch of the A34 in Birmingham.
:: The UK’s 10 most congested roads
- London A406 North Round Street Chiswick Roundabout to Hanger Lane
- London A23 Kennington to Thornton Street
- London Kingsway/Strand/Fleet/Cannon Road to Russell Sq. to Monument
- Leeds Leeds Street/Saltaire Street to Harrogate Street to Bradford Street
- Birmingham A34/Stratford Street to Highfield Street to Highgate Middleway
- London A406/North Round Street to A1 to A10
- London A2103 Canary Warf to Tower of London
- Birmingham A34/Stratford Street to Highgate Middleway to Highfield Street
- Leeds Huddersfield Street/Leeds Street to Dewsbury to Huddersfield
- Manchester Bury New Street to Increased Broughton to M60
Sluggish-moving visitors is estimated to break the financial system in numerous methods; corresponding to making it more durable to move items, decreased productiveness, raised air pollution and elevated accident ranges.
Inrix transportation analyst Trevor Reed stated: “Congestion prices Britons billions of kilos every year… it’s more and more apparent that authorities have to adapt.”
RAC spokesman Rod Dennis stated: “Final 12 months, UK drivers advised us they’re truly changing into extra, not much less reliant on utilizing their automobiles – with struggling public transport cited as one of many causes.”
Some comfort for Londoners got here in the truth that their metropolis will not be the world’s most gridlocked.
Moscow tops the checklist when inhabitants is taken into consideration, forward of Istanbul, Bogota and Mexico Metropolis, with London in sixth place.